Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Abstract Nail Art

Today's post is a really fun look!!!! Abstract nail art with a watercolor base!!!



WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

  • Your choice of nail polish. I think 4 is a good amount. Plus a base color.
  • Make-up sponge
  • Black, White, and Silver Glitter striper (or these polishes with a thin nail art brush)
  • Dotting tool (I used a ball point pen since I'm still waiting for my dotting tools to arrive)

STEP 1:
Apply a base coat if you like. I always wear OPI - Nail Envy. Then paint your nails an even coat of white or a pale cream color to make the colors we put on top more vibrant and opaque. I used Lime Crime - Milky Ways. Let it dry.


STEP 2:
Cut up a make-up sponge into four chunks or one for each color of nail polish you're using. On a piece of tin foil, or plastic bag, or palette (whatever you wanna use really) dab out a little polish to dip in. You'll want to do each color one at a time so that your blobs don't dry while you're working. Dab your sponge into the polish and then apply to your nail in your desired pattern moving from color to color and overlapping them to blend. You may have to go over the colors more than once. Once you've covered your nail give just a little bit of time to set, maybe a minute. Then apply a top coat or clear polish to blend all the colors evenly before it's completely dry.


Your nails will look like this when you're done. You have the option to tape off the skin around your nail if you don't want to get messy but for me it's just easier to do clean up. You'll have to do some no matter what.


STEP 3:
Clean up. I use a small ELF concealer brush dipped in pure acetone to clean around my cuticles. I like to do this before I start the nail art so that my base colors have time to dry and so I can see exactly where my art is going.

COLORS USED:
Sinful Colors - 24/7, Orly - Lemonade, Loreal - Club Prive, Lime Crime - Lavendairy

STEP 5:
Add your abstract nail art! Basically just lines, curves, and dots. I couldn't do this step by step because each nail is different and I can't photograph myself doing it lol, it's really whatever you want. Take my design as a template and make it how you want! Then finish everything off with a topcoat! 



I hope you guys enjoyed this as much as I did!!! I LOOOVE these nails!! There's really no right or wrong way. So bright and fun!! 

xo, Colleen



Instagram: @lusterlacquer
Kik: @lusterlacquer
www.facebook.com/LusterLacquer








4 comments:

I love to hear from you guys! Leave me a thought!